The sixth round of the
Mountain Dew national Motocross championship started today September 28,2019 at
Victoria Race Track Garuga with Fortune Ssentamu beating rival Ali Omar Yasser popularly
known as bobo in the first heat.
Omar the MX125cc
defending champion was the prevent favourites but, it was a different story
when the race started.
Ssentamu was good at both jumps and clearing
the hoops, Bobo finished second and his young brother Waleed Omar who leads the
table standing was third.
“It was a bad day fir us
but I’ am going to talk to bobo and see what we bring tomorrow in the remaining
two heats,” Ali Omar senior said.
In the MX85cc class, it
was the same story as Stav Orland was unstoppable with Waleed Omar coming
In the 65cc Alon Orland,
Gift Ssebuguzi and Kreidah Nsubuga finished first, second and third respectively.
The Iconic Kenya Safari Rally is back in the high profile World
Rally Championship (WRC) after 18 years.
The Federation Internationale Du I ‘Automobile (FIA) President
Jean Todt announced today in Geneva, Switzerland the return of Africa’s premier
event on the WRC Calendar
“I want to thank President Uhuru Kenyatta and his personal
pledge to deliver the Safari Rally back on top of the World Rally Championship
has been achieved,” Todt, a former Safari Rally driver said.
“I thank President Uhuru Kenyatta for his support and commitment
and desire to have the Safari Rally return to the WRC,” he added.
“I like to remind all the Kenyan citizens that the FIA has a
worldwide campaign to reduce the number of crashes on roads. The Safari Rally
will be able to work with us on road safety in Kenya and to reduce crashes and
increase awareness during the Safari Rally.”
President Uhuru Kenyatta was the first person to congratulate
Kenyans for realizing this dream in a recorded televised message from New York,
United States at 1:30 Pm.
“Before my Administration assumed office in 2013, I made a
promise to the people of Kenya, to return the Safari Rally back to the
International Automobile Federation World Rally Championship family. This
process has taken us seven years,” said the President in his message
beamed on a giant screen at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre.
“It is my pleasure today to announce to the people of Kenya and
Africa that this process has been concluded and the Safari Rally has been
included in the Federation Internationale Du I’ Automobile World Rally
Championship 2020 calendar making the return of the World Rally Championship to
Kenya and Africa after 18 years of waiting,” said the President who is also the
patron of the multi-purpose vehicle WRC Safari Rally Project which was tasked
to deliver WRC status two years ago.
“I want to take this opportunity to thank the President of the
International Automobile Federation Jean Todt, the World Rally Championship
Promoter Oliver Ciesla, the chairman of the Kenya Motor Sport Federation, Mr.
Phineas Kimathi and the Directors and Technical teams for working with my
Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage through the World Rally Championship
Project, to deliver this iconic event that forms part of our national
‘This is a great moment for Kenya, a great moment for Africa and
I want to thank President Uhuru Kenyatta for his support,” said Kimathi.
“We were not picked because we are rich. It is because Kenya is
arguably the most beautiful country in the world.
Last year hundreds of Ugandans flocked Kenya to support the Safari
Led by Sulait Natukunda the director Friends Bus coaches, two
buses, two Coastas, six mini-buses and other private cars, Ugandans gave life
to the event which prompted Kabras Sugar Boss to offer 50 buses to Uganda fans
next year if the dream came a reality.
“We are grateful that our efforts have been realized. We are committed
to the event as fans we are waiting for the Kabras chief promise and the mobilization
for Uganda to invade Kenya in bigger number stands,” Emma Emaru the fans
WRC events attract 4.5 million people who visit host nations of
the championship. If we get 10 percent of this figure which constitutes new
arrivals then this is an event worth investing in,” said Kimathi.
“I would like to pay tribute to those that worked really hard
the Safari Rally project succeeded,” said Sports, Culture and Heritage Cabinet
Secretary Amina Mohamed.
She said the economic gain and feel good wow effect amongst
Kenyans will be paramount in the WRC Safari Rally. She pledged total
government’s support and encouraged sponsors to come forward and be associated
with the Safari.
KCB Director, Marketing and Communication Angela Mwirigi said as
a bank they are extremely proud for being associated with the Safari’s success
since 2003. This year the bank gave Ksh50 million sponsorship for the WRC
Candidate Event and they will increase the package next year.
Sports Principal Secretary Peter Kaberia said the journey
towards the WRC has been long but worth covering. He enumerated the
government’s commitment towards the event and assured the world that Kenya will
deliver and intends to remain in the WRC for as long as it takes.
“It’s no secret we wanted to further globalise the series by
incorporating more events outside Europe and we’ve achieved that next year with
this exciting new-look calendar,” said Oliver Ciesla, managing director of WRC
Promoter, which owns the championship’s commercial rights.
“The return of Japan and Kenya provide a presence in the world’s
largest two continents by size for the first time in more than two decades. The
last time Asia and Africa appeared in the WRC together was 1999.
“The two continents are huge markets for the WRC and I thank
everyone involved from both countries and the FIA who have been instrumental in
returning the rallies to the calendar for 2020.
“New Zealand requires no introduction. It has a long and
successful WRC history and the return of its curving billiard-table smooth
special stages near Auckland will be one of the year’s highlights,” he added.
The addition of Kenya’s iconic Safari Rally, one of global
motorsport’s legendary contests, means the WRC returns to Africa, the world’s
second largest continent by size, for the first time since 2002.
It is the first time the WRC has included six continents –
Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa and Australasia – in its
48-year history. Not since 1999 have Africa and Asia appeared side-by-side in
the fixture list.
FIA Rally Director Yves Matton said that in order to further
globalise the championship, there was a need to have more WRC rounds outside
“I am glad to see the results of our expansion strategy,
with emblematic events such as Kenya and Japan coming back to the WRC calendar
next year, alongside New Zealand replacing Australia, while long-standing,
iconic European events provide a great balance and preserve the DNA of the sport,”
Twaha Oduwa formerly of
Busitema primary school and Aisha Byakatonda of Riverside High School won the scholarships
during the UOC-Olympafrica competitions held at General Francis Were Nyangweso
Olympafrica Youth Centre in Busia.
The General Nyangweso Youth Centre is a
regional sports Centre of excellence in Eastern region and UOC president William
Blick has urged government to set up more in other regions.
“Such centers country wide would give
opportunities to the youth to participate in sports develop their talents also
win other opportunities such as scholarships,” Blick added.
Students Twaha Oduwa and Aisha
Byakatonda emerged the best participants last year in the activities that
included athletics 30m sprint, 100m sprint, 200m, 400m, 800m ,12-minute cooper
test, art drawing focused on WADA and general knowledge on Olympic values.
said that money has relieved her parents of tuition fees burden at least for a
happy to get this money. It has morale boosted me to continue participating in
sports and train harder besides reading my books at school,” said the S1
student at Riverside high school.
Blick also opened a three-day workshop for sports coaches as a way of capacity
building social development.
workshop will have coaches empowered with knowledge to train athletes not only
sports but also social development for the future.
Total Uganda has injected sh20m in the forthcoming Kabalega Rally scheduled for next month October 17-20 in Hoima district.
The four-day event
will have drifting, karting, vintage show on Thursday September 17, 2019 and Friday
before the main rally on Saturday and Sunday.
The fuel package is a big boost to the event that marks its fourth edition in the Bunyoro Kitara region and event manager Alex Kikonyogo believes that Total coming on board is an assurance that this event will be a success.
excited with this support and this gives me confidence that we shall have a
successful event,” Kikonyogo said.
The event is also supported by Victoria University, Worldwide Movers, Coca cola, Kontik Hotel, Miika Eco resort and Grand Praclos Hotel who all assured the organising club ,United Motorsport Club (UMOSPOC) their commitment to grow the Kabalega rally bigger and better.
Total Uganda Marketing Manager Emmanuel Ssebunya, assured the organisers of his company’s commitment to motorsport and also urged them to beef up safety of both the participants and fans.
“I appeal to you to put in place all the necessary safety measures so that we have an incident free event,” Ssebunya said.
the clerk of the course, asked the drivers to take precautions in the routes.
“Drivers must be extremely careful with this year’s routes because we have made many changes which are tricky. We have sections that are rough and others smooth but will call for competitors mental attitude,” Kalera said.
appeal to fans to keep a distance from the roads where these cars will
pass” He added.
Hassan Alwi is the defending champion for the event having won it back to back in 2017 and 2018.
The event will cover a distance of 303kms of
which 173.8 kms will be competitive and 129.2 kms liaison.
Twenty drivers including Timothy Gawaya, Ronald Ssebuguzi, Dr. Ahmed Ashraf, Samuel Bwete, Rajiv Ruparelia, Godfrey Lubega and defending champion Alwi have confirmed participation in the event that is also co-sponsored by Club Q7, Hoima Resort, Spice FM, Kings FM, BetOn and Uganda Communications Communication.
It is going to be an action packed day on Sunday
September 29, 2019 at Victoria Race track Garuga with two motorsport events
running at ago.
With the proceeds for the event set to purchase
a fully equipped medical ambulance, the cause has won the souls of many sports personalities
with the latest being National motocross team captain Maxime Van pee.
Maxime after the motocross race where he will
be battling Asaf Natan and Fatuh Kiggundu, he will head onto the rally track
where he will drive the Mitsubishi Evo9.
“Yes I have been practicing with rally driver
Jonas Kansiime and I will be competing because we need this ambulance so much
as the motorsport family,” Maxime said.
Maxime is the latest to join the other top
crews including the Shell Helix team of Arthur blick Jr and George Ssemakula,
Omar Mayanja and Hussein Mukuye, the International University of East Africa IUEA
team of Hassan Alwi Jr and the MOIL team of Yasin Nasser and Ali Katumba.