By Barbra Namanyi
The Lady Cranes 7s team target a slot in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics this weekend in Jemmal, Tunisia during the Women’s Qualifiers that doubles up as the Africa Women’s 7s Championship.
The championship on Saturday October 12 and Sunday
October 13 in Tunisia open their campaign against pre-tournament favourites South Africa, then take on Zambia, and conclude
their group stage games against Zimbabwe in Pool B.
Coach Helen Buteme is optimistic her team will deliver .
“We have been training at Kings park ground in Bweyogerere since October 3rd. We went through different drills like weight training sessions, speed, tackling, recovery and I think we are ready to go,” Buteme said.
According to the team named Charlotte Mudoola
retains her arm band as team skipper and is deputized by Grace Auma.
“This team has dynamic individuals with varying skill sets and they complement each other very well. I am looking forward to seeing how they apply what we have been working on over the last month and a half in training during an actual tournament situation.”- Coach Helen Buteme
The team has 3 debutants including Agnes Nakuya, Lydia Namabiro and Racheal Mufuwa.
1. Agnes Nakuya (Thunderbirds)
2. Charlotte Thereza Mudoola (Black Panthers) – captain
3. Emilly Lekuru (unattached)
4. Flavia Agenorwot (Black Pearls)
5. Gilder Azikuru (Black Pearls)
6. Grace Auma (Black Pearls) – assistant captain
7. Immaculate Mufuwa (Black Pearls)
8. Lydia Namabiro (Black Pearls)
9. Mary Gloria Ayot (Black Pearls)
10. Peace Mirembe (Black Panthers)
11. Proscovia Ayero (Black Pearls)
12. Racheal Mufuwa (Black Pearls)
The officials are Helen Buteme coach, Phiona
Nakatete team Manager and Prossy Namusisi (Physiotherapist).